This management position will be responsible for helping to lead highly technical field employees within Pepco Holdings under the Exelon policies and procedures. The responsibilities will include a vast understanding and proficiency of some of the utilities most complex designs and protective systems.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1 Responsible for oversight and/or field technical training for the entire job family of Relay and Control Technicians. Directs employees engaged in work on protective relaying schemes, metering, remote control and data systems. Assures adequately qualified personnel to meet requirements by coordinating training and development with the Safety & Training Unit.
2 Participates in planning major substation or plant construction projects. Reviews engineering drawings and recommends changes when appropriate; makes frequent field checks to maintain knowledge of new protective relaying schemes, metering, remote control and data systems; plans operational tests of new protective relaying schemes, metering, remote control and data systems. Establishes close liaison with all other units, sections and departments involved in construction and work to ensure coordination of work efforts and integrity of the electric system.
3 Directs scheduled inspections, tests and calibration of protective relaying schemes, metering, and remote control and data systems.
4 Coordinates utilization of employees, equipment, and vehicles to assure maximum effectiveness. Responds to system/equipment problems as consultant to field technicians.
5 Directs investigations of trouble and initiation of corrective action on protective relaying schemes, metering, remote control and data systems.
6 Recommends improvements and changes in existing practices, policies, methods and equipment.
7 Assists workload planning coordinators with writing outages for all work (maintenance and capital) and reviews and plans daily work schedule with Field Coordinators.
8 Implements productivity and quality controls and assure achievement of goals and compliance with OSHA, and other Federal, State, and local standards and requirements.
Position may be required to work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
• HS Diploma (or equivalent) and at least 10 years job related work experience, or the equivalent combination of formal education/training and experience.
• Thorough knowledge of installation and testing of protective relaying, metering, automatic control and data communications systems, and post high school classes in AC/DC circuit theory.
• Working knowledge of mathematics up to and including trigonometry.
• Demonstrated ability to lead groups of employees on a day-to-day basis.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively.
• Ability to be certified in CPR and First Aid.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to meet Company driving standards.
• Demonstrated ability to use personal computers and associated software.
• Availability to work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
5-10 years of commissioning experience for protective systems related to substations.
Experience with remote control and SCADA Systems in substations.
Pepco Holdings, an Exelon Company, is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity and does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of characteristics protected by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Never Miss an Update – Follow us on Twitter @PHICareers